Thursday, June 2, 2011

Measurements


The brow ridge is at mid-distance from crown to chin. The wedge of the nose is at midpoint on the face from brow to chin. The cheekbone ends on a line drawn across the base of the nose. The eye socket opens at the brow ridge and ends on a line drawn at midpoint across the nose. The barrel of the mouth begins at the nose base and ends two-thirds the length down from nose to chin.
All of these measurements and more are detailed in the book "Dynamic Anatomy". I do not want to repeat the information from the book without crediting the source. I found all of these points on the face important to remember when I am laying out the construction lines to start a drawing.

The sketches that I copied from the book appear to be chalk drawings, but I have chosen to draw them all in pencil. This drawing looks light because it was done with a hard 2H pencil that does not produce dark lines or shading.
I tried to maintain the correct proportions by matching the layout in the book, like this drawing, that was originally grouped with some other drawings, but I chose to sketch it by itself,  just to fit it into my sketch book.


No comments:

Post a Comment